terça-feira, 29 de março de 2016

TSDcast 57 - Dillard Entrevista + Mix


From Denver (US) to the TSDcast - Dillard!

Take a step to Dub - Hi Dillard... how’s life at the moment?

Dillard - Hello :) Have to say 2016 is off to a great start so far and am planning on doing some real fun stuff, looking forward to camping season :)

TSD - Taking a step back in time, could you tell us a little bit about your musical journey, from discovering underground music, to learning how to DJ and your interest in building beats?

D - As I started getting exposed to more and more music my tastes definitely started to expand. It wasn't until I discovered the power of a sound system that really started to effect what I listened too . I got heavily into death metal in high school and after a while the repetitive rhythm of the metal lead me to be extremely fascinated with hard style techno and gabber core, and my first attempts at producing music ever was on some random program off the internet. 

Discovered Ableton and FL back in about 2008 and just started to make anything that came out because I had no idea what I was really doing, but shortly after discovered 140 music through the fabric live series, especially 37 with Caspa. I went to go see him live in Denver for my first time and after that totally feel in love with the sound. 

TSD - Creating any art form often draw inspiration from life and environment. With the many outlets from which we can seek such inspiration, what inspires you to create the sound that you do? 

D - I love the forest.  I have a little system that i put together strictly for the woods and all my music equipment and gear is intended to be used there. My friends and I are also working on building a bigger sound system mainly for these parties as well. But the other half of my love is the beach- I can never get enough of the sand and sound of the waves. I recently got back from Hawaii and got some killer sample material out there from the jungle and a lot of the beaches. 

The majority of the music I make though is built using field recordings that I have taken mostly at either of these locations- I don't have an intention of trying to sound a particular way but I just try to do what feels good and comes out naturally, even though I defiantly do respect what my fellow peers and artists are up to. That in itself is inspiring. 

TSD - It’s been almost a year since your last "official" release, "Tomorrow EP" on Dubs Alive. What have you been working on since then?


D - I am working on a lot of new projects actually, some I can't quite speak of at the moment but will be unveiling quite soon. 

Something that I am trying to do by no later than fall 2016 is put out a dual album and have one be on the more dubbier/roots/dark type side of things and the other half a more laid back/melodic/future type of thing and will be featuring some friends on it as well :)  

TSD - More frequently we see artists are using Bandcamp for self releases as an alternative to going through a record label, what’s your stance on this topic?

D - Bandcamp is defiantly nice. Right off the bat I can see who is feeling the tunes so I can better gauge who is listening rather than just seeing numbers. It's also dope because I don't have to rely on anyone to put something out when I want it out.

TSD - So in your opinion, who is the audience that identifies with your music? 

D - It's actually quite interesting to see who is feeling the tunes. It seems like my music can appeal to people who don't really like "dubstep" or 140 in general. Also feel a lot of people are older and know what they want to listen to which is nice. Rarely I get the kid in a tank top with sunglasses on or the drunk chick coming up and asking to play something "a little harder” lol. On the other hand  I have played a few underground techno and psytrance festivals recently and also have also participated in a lot of the local events and festivals around here in Colorado who don’t generally cater to “dub step” or the 140 sound, more geared towards glitch hop and other forms of “edm”.

TSD - How would you describe the 140 scene in the USA today? 

D - There are a lot of producers and djs pushing proper 140 music around here in Colorado. I am a fellow resident on Sub.mission and am glad to say we have been have supplying the need for bass in our city for 9 years coming April and frequently showcase world class talent at least every week. 

Besides Denver though, there are several producers that are killing it right now across the U.S., such as the Subtle Mind boys, Wasteman, DMVU, Saule, Elefant Doc, Trisicloplox, and honestly too many others to name. The new generation of producers are definitely pushing waves in intelligent bass music culture around the world.  

TSD - What producers within the bass music spectrum are making your ears prick up, so to speak?

D - I recently discovered Somatoast, definitely feeling those downtempo dub vibes, Sub Basics has been creating some real nice stuff, Occult also has been putting out some fire tunes. Recently found out about Hakuu. Causa, DTR, Akcept, Shanti are all to watch out in the 140 game. Some other producers that definitely are killing are Expedizion, Sixis, Whitebear, Mumukshu, Goopsteppa and Biolumigen. Of course there are more but trying to keep a “somewhat" modest list :) 

TSD - If you had the ability to make music with one person, dead or alive, who would it be? 

D - Jeeeez that's a tough one for sure. If I had to pick one, probably would have to be Mala. That would just would be unreal lol. 

TSD - What can we expect from you next?

D - Watch out for that dual sided album, and hopefully you can see me in a town / city / forest near you in near future :)

TSD - Thank you for your time mate. Are there any final comments / shout outs you wanna share to wrap things up?

D - Wanna give a Big thanks to the fam, Sub.mission, Dubs Alive, Mind Step, and literally everyone who supports my music. 

Infinite gratitude <3

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário